Monday, March 29, 2010

Solitary Confinement

Hello, everyone,
Have you ever tried NOT to look at Facebook all day? How about Twitter? Formspring? Dailybooth? Pandora? Youtube?? It's maddening! I feel like an addict in rehab (although I know it's not a fraction of the pain or frustration they feel) - the whole, "Hi, I'm Sophie, and I haven't been on Facebook for 12 hours." I never realized how much I use these websites until I decided to go without them for...dare I say it...a WEEK? It's going to be tough, and today is only the first day! I feel very isolated, not knowing what everyone's doing, feeling, saying, or even vlogging! I love me some British Youtubers, so how can I go on without making sure that Charlie McDonnell hasn't uploaded a new video about his life today? Boy, it's not easy.

And to make things worse, today the charging cable for my Asus netbook went kaput on me, so my handy-dandy, carry-wherever-you-go, connect-to-the-web-in-an-instant laptop is temporarily out of service. I feel like ripping my very straight hair out of my head! I'm really trying to stay sane, and not to complain. After all, I'm doing this because of holy week. It's sort of like a withdrawal to try to remember what's really important and what I really should be focusing on. The problem is, I spent most of the time today that I should have been contemplating the meaning of Easter worrying about what Charlie, Nerimon, Johnny (and maybe a couple of people I actually know) might be doing without me being in on it.

I know what you're thinking - 'Maybe you could simplify your life by not using sooo many social networking sites at once! And...let's go on record for this one -- you're right. I am an internet addict. I really feel like a whole part of me is missing. Like the whole world is going on while I'm standing stock still. What if I miss Evan Lysacek's latest tweet? What about Owl City? Taylor Swift? Justin Bieber? (Don't even start on that one.) I could just go on. I think this is unhealthy. No, I know it is. I mean, not using any internet except for school and email (and of course my trusty blog) shouldn't be that awful. But it is. I guess I'm going to have to use the old, rather lame, but very true phrase, "You never know what you've got until it's gone." How true this is!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, for a person who (for the most part) has no friends, how lame is it to use this many sites for 'networking?' I mean, how 'Backwards' is it to spend that much of my real life on the internet following other people's seemingly extraordinary existences? Did God mean for us to live so wholly vicariously through others? I'm thinking not. I mean, I don't know about you other people, but do I really need to know all the plans people make without me? Does it enrich my life? Make me any happier? Maybe Facebook hurts more than helps as far as 'networking' me to others.

Anyway, it sure is something to think about...

Hope you're all having a great Holy Week, and enjoy that internet freedom!

- Líf mitt er aftur á bak!

P.S. When/if Charlie does post a video: you tell me, and I will be VERY put out. And don't you dare watch it before I do. You have been warned!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, we have denigrated to a new level of voyeurism. Speaking of Holy Week, I was wondering yesterday in church if Jesus would have had lots of followers on Twitter. What do you think? Can you imagine the disciples updating his status? Something to think about?

    ReplyDelete